Friday, May 8, 2015

Thank You This makes sense to me I appreciate it

You can decide to be more positive. 
The following a list of sentence starters that launch good vibes. (I'm sure you could add more.) Consider deciding to add more of them to your conversational routine, especially if it feels like your close relationships need a bit of rekindling
, and see what happens:
  1. Yes...
  2. "Yes, going swimming sounds great." ["Yes... but.." has the opposite impact; but negates the positivity of the Yes.]
  3. I agree...
  4. "I agree that it's too hot to do any exercise other than swimming today."
  5. I appreciate...
  6. "I appreciate your willingness to pack a lunch."
  7. Thank you for...
  8. "Thanks so much for getting me moving. I was stuck on my couch all day."
  9. I like (love, enjoy) ...
  10. "I like that suit! Looks terrific!"  And to initiate action, "I would like to ...".  "I would like to swim laps for a good workout while we're at the pool."
  11. That makes sense to me because...
  12. "Bringing lunch makes sense to me because the food at the pool is so expensive."
  13. I'm pleased (happy, delighted) that... 
  14. "I'm pleased that you invited those guys to join us."
  15. Good! (Excellent, Great, Wow, Cool, Terrific, etc.) 
  16. "Great! Let's hop in the car."
  17. How...?/What...?
  18. These open-ended question words convey warmth and positive views of the other person. "How have you been feeling about driving since your accident?" "What have you heard lately from your Mom?" 
  19. Positive non-verbals.
  20. Positive words have even more impact when spoken in an enthusiastic tone of voice, with positive facial expressions.  Smiles, laughter, playfulness, "eye hugs" from making eye contact, and, with intimates, hugs and other physical expressions of affection also go a long way toward generating good feelings.
Of course, every sentence you say need not radiate good vibes, and over-done or insincere gushing would be counter-productive.  
Another tip: Eliminate as many negatives as you can.  But, no, not, don't like, crticisms, sarcasm, blame etc. all drag down the emotional tone, undermining whatever positives you are adding.
Yet another tip: giving positivity is one of four essential arenas of skills that keep relationships positive.  Be sure also to develop your skills in the other three communication skill-sets
. That way your smiles and positive words will express genuine inner feelings of well-being as well as outward expression of goodwill.
Then let yourself  enjoy yourself.  Sprinkle a generous seasoning of positive expressions onto your interactions.  Agreement, appreciation, playful humor, and enthusiasm in your interactions warm your relationships and brighten how people feel when they talk with you, whether you are dealing with a salesman in a store, a co-worker, or a loved one or children at home. 
Emanate positive vibes, even to yourself, and affection and appreciation will return your way. Everyone will enjoy the sunshine!

(c) Susan Heitler, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment